LeagueCMS
competition management for DragonFly CMS

Problem after Upgrade

The public support form for mComp, online gaming Competition Management Software
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Problem after Upgrade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Quickly ran this through a League with 4 teams. There is a selection of 18 maps, set it to max of 2 maps per fixture, randomly generated with 2 rounds.

The result was 12 fixtures:

1: Chinatown & Overgrown
2: Chinatown & Overgrown

3: Ambush & Crossfire
4: Ambush & Crossfire

5: District & Downpour
6: District & Downpour

7: Backlot & Pipeline
8: Backlot & Pipeline

9: District & Downpour
10: District & Downpour

11: Backlot & Countdown
12: Backlot & Countdown

As you can see the map generating works great... but random.. ish Laughing

daggers

Problem after Upgrade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Currently each round is going to have the same maps, even if they were chosen randomly, because it decides the parameters of the fixture for each round, and then goes off and creates the appropriate number of fixtures, each based on that set of parameters.

I could probably make each individual fixture different, but that would involve more coding as some things are almost certainly going to be the same, such as the date on which each round is played.

Also, the thing about random selection is the possibility that it could randomly select the same thing from one instance to the next. To do it differently would mean not only randomly selecting maps each round, but recording which had already been selected and removing them from the available options as each round is generated, which in turn would require sufficient maps to begin with to cover every round.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problem after Upgrade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

With more fixtures than maps I agree that the same maps are selected over and over and that a similar scenario as above will happen from time to time but the above appears more consistent than should be.

The other question is.. do we need randomly generated maps?

Most leagues I have seen allow the teams to choose 1 map each or in our last League there was one map chosen by the league admins and the other chosen by the Home team.

Personally, I do like the idea but I know some who wouldnt

daggers

Problem after Upgrade

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:40 pm

You certainly don't have to use the feature, it was only recently added. If random maps = No then for each round you'll be presented with a form asking for date / time and a map select box featuring all the maps in the map pool. You can set dates / maps for each round and off it'll go and create the fixtures. This is how leagues are usually run in my experience.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2