competition management for DragonFly CMS

Thoughts on Drupal?

Forum for general discussion and stuff that doesn't go somewhere else
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi Mark,

i was just wondering what your thoughts as a programmer are on other CMS such as and espacially Drupal. I have just recently started to seriously consider it especially due to its strong community features.

Of course there are tons of reasons to hesitate, the "being used to" factor of DF and the time consuming process of getting into something completely new are only two of them. Not to mention that some really good modules such as MComp and MTeam are missing over there and would be hard to replace by custom work (MCmp being outstanding and seemingly unreplaceaple under ANY other CMS).

So I'd be interested in what you think about those systems and whether you have ever thought about supporting them or what makes you stick with DF personally.

Greetings,
Golem

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I've not really investigated other CMS's as far as coding for them goes. I tried to make a site with Joomla once and hated it, the admin interface was worse than DF's (which I don't like to begin with) and most "modules" were actually 3rd party products requiring a "hack" or "bridge" to make them work.

Drupal looks nice (they all do if you visit their homepage and compare it to DF's), but I've no idea how it works "under the hood", so couldn't comment on how easy / difficult it'd be to code for it. I'd like to look into this to be honest, because I'm sure I could sell more modules if they worked with more CMS's. Smile

What I do like about DF however is the API (application interface). It's easy to code for, DF itself provides a wealth of functions and I have an extensive library of my own, so making a module these days is more a case of bolting together code snippets rather than writing reams of code by hand (mClip and mCore have loads of code borrowed from other modules).

I do want to extend myself to other CMS's, but the question I'm also asking myself these days is should I focus on one module rather than several. i.e. instead of 1 CMS, lots of modules - 1 module lots of CMS's. Wink

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I would vote for 1 module (or a set of modules) for all CMS's. Very Happy But then I don't wants to shoot myself in the foot if the module that you decided to work with won't be the one I needed. Wink

WebSiteGuru
Good poster
Good poster

Re: Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:07 pm

- WebSiteGuru
I would vote for 1 module (or a set of modules) for all CMS's. Very Happy But then I don't wants to shoot myself in the foot if the module that you decided to work with won't be the one I needed. Wink

Well that's the thing isn't it. You use mStore, but I've only sold 2 copies of mStore in 2008 compared to 12 copies of mComp, so which would I go for out of those 2? Wink

The key is finding what the market wants. Many CMS's have ecommerce modules (except for DragonFly) and there are good ecommerce CMS's (osCommerce, zen-cart etc.). In my opinion that's why mStore doesn't sell, it's only really of value to die-hard DF fans who happen to also want a store for their DF site.

mComp on the other hand is kind of unique, but then how much longer that will be I don't know as someone is now working on a free NukeLeague port for DF.

What I do know is the people who make zen-cart only make zen-cart, the people who originally made NukeLeague only made NukeLeague, there's a decent free league system called KM League (though it's not as powerful as mComp and has no included CMS "goodies" like a forum etc.) and the people who make that only make that etc.

I'm begining to think if I really wanted to capitalise on a specific thing I should concentrate on it to the exclusion of others. The question of course is which thing. If I were to go by past sales it'd be mComp hands down.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:08 pm

That is why I said:

- WebSiteGuru
I But then I don't wants to shoot myself in the foot if the module that you decided to work with won't be the one I needed. Wink

Because I know that mStore won't be the pick of the season. Crying or Very sad

WebSiteGuru
Good poster
Good poster

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Well don't worry, it's not going to happen yet, I have little time for my DF modules these days let alone having to learn how to write them for another CMS Sad

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 pm

That's a releaf om my part. Very Happy

WebSiteGuru
Good poster
Good poster

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Not sure that you should code your competition script for other CMS’s my bet is you will open a can of worm in respect of support.

I think you should look at adding html templates and integrating your core module into the competition script giving almost a full self contained product that runs on the dragonfly CMS.

Offering bridges to the popular forum packages would open up a wide customer base

Tront

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 pm

- Tront

Not sure that you should code your competition script for other CMS’s my bet is you will open a can of worm in respect of support.

Probably, one of the reasons I've hesitated to go down that route.

- Tront

I think you should look at adding html templates and integrating your core module into the competition script giving almost a full self contained product that runs on the dragonfly CMS.

If someone wants a website with News / Forums etc. as well as the module they can have that already. If they wanted to use Core instead of News they could do so. What I had thought of doing, so as to make the whole thing a more "out of the box" product, was to distribute DF + module as a package and mod the DF installer to install the module when DF is installed. The downside with that approach is the GPL license under which DF is provided. GPL states that any software packaged with some other GPL software is also GPL by default, so anyone who bought a module in that way would be able to give it away free to anyone else who wanted it.

To an extent they could anyway, it's unlikely I'd be able to successfully sue them, but as things stand distributing modules separately is my only real option, and bundling 2 or more modules wouldn't really make them integrated, and would pre-suppose the user wanted my other "whatever it is" module rather than something else that does the same job.

- Tront

Offering bridges to the popular forum packages would open up a wide customer base

Any bridge to other forum packages would have to be implemented in the DF core, it's not something I could do without re-distributing (and therefore also supporting) the entire DF code base.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:18 pm

When I said your core module I was thinking of an organisation type script, E.G our www.gamedeviant.co.uk site

www.gamedeviant.co.uk/index.php - front page a bit of everything
www.gamedeviant.co.uk/system-pc - pc filter all the PC stuff
www.gamedeviant.co.uk/...-Wars.html - PC game filter

Front page = all competition stuff
PC = game type page
ETQW = specific competition

Tront

Thoughts on Drupal?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:18 pm

CCMS works that way because it's built in to the core CMS. DragonFly modules don't have that level of control over how the CMS presents itself. The module would have to be, as you say, a complete solution to everything you'd want to do with your site. I can't see that appealing to anyone because they'd lose the benefit of integration the moment the "uber" module didn't provide some function and they installed something else to cover it.

You could probably argue DragonFly is a bit too generic for some uses, like GameDeviant (hence why we hacked the hell out of it for GamersNation), and you'd be right, but as a module developer there are limits to what I can do with / to the core CMS.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Golem , ive been using Df from pretty much its first release and its helped me build a great community , unfortunately DF doesn't have the same sort of community support hence its on its arse and very few if any new modules are being released

i have decided to hitch my wagon to a new horse and this time one that wont go lame , i looked at drupal , but all the terminology didnt seem instinctive ie taxinomy wtf is that , now i know it is the correct word to use , but its not user friendly imo

for a while now ive been doing the odd site in joomla and with the advent of 1.5 its come along and is imo the best for my needs when i migrate my club site over in the next few months

reaps
Contributor
Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 am

Hi reaps,

I understand your concerns on dragonfly, my situation is pretty similar to yours. As a matter of fact different CMS suits different needs and obviously Joomla has its strengths that other CMS don't have.

I personally found the taxonomy system (once you get the basic idea which can take ages I admit) the best and most flexible content system out there. It is insane how much you can do with it and its scope is nearly unlimited with the thousands of addons it offers, espaciall in terms of community features (not to mention CCK which has no match in other systems imho. But of course I only have limited experience with others systems and cannot really make a final comment on e.g. Joomla.

Either CMS unfortunately seems to have an edge over DF which (I sadly have to admit) somewhat limits the average user in his options to actively add content to a site. The only thing that still makes me stick with DF are basically the modules that can be found here. There is no competition module for any CMS that can compete with MComp.

That being said I think porting the most popular Mx modules would be the option of choice instead of offering an "out-of-the-box" option, bundled with DF. I am not sure if the latter would significantly increase the popularity of Mark's modules since what many people are looking for is a competition module for their CMS rather than a completely new solution that comes with DF's limitations.

As you can see from my initial post I am still hoping for an MTeam and MComp on Drupal, though I could understand if Mark (given that he likes to port at all) went for Joomla due to its popularity and (afaik) better acceptance for commercial modules.

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

Page 1 of 1