LeagueCMS
competition management for DragonFly CMS

New year, new direction

The public support form for mComp, online gaming Competition Management Software
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

New year, new direction

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Mark,

reading through your latest announcement I have a basic question regarding especially MComp. I understand that you will be using a custom framework for future projects.

Say I'd love to use MComp on another CMS (in my case it would be drupal). What would the scope of such a task be. Would the way to achive this (if possible at all) be:

a) a custom port of the whole module to the CMS in question
b) a port of your module to your newly used framework or a standalone version of the module and then bridging to the CMS in question (Joomla, Drupal etc).
c) other way

I have no idea at all about how big such a task or port would be: Merely the size of a big addon to the modules or a complete rewrite of them.

I am asking this "publically" since it do not think I'd ever be able to afford such a big project. Just would like to roughly estimate if this was realistic at all or beyond all reason. I hope you don't mind.

Best wishes and good luck for 2009! Smile

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

New year, new direction

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:38 pm

The honest answer is I don't know which would be the best approach.

I'd favour porting the module to my new CMS and then making a bridge between it and whatever other CMS you wanted to use it with. That way I have one code base for the module and a set of bridges to maintain.

However Drupal and Joomla (and DragonFly) have HUGE differences in how custom code is integrated, Drupal in particular is extremely complex.

I'd like to try porting a simple module to Drupal and Joomla first of all to get a feel for what's involved before deciding which direction to take, however I don't intend to do either unless I have some spare time as paid work will always be a priority.

To answer your underlying question, I seriously doubt there will be a version of mComp for anything other than DragonFly for some time to come.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New year, new direction

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 am

I was thinking about this: [url= www.jfusion.org/index....Itemid=128 ]http://www.jfusion.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=42&Itemid=128[/url] just bridge the users in Dragonfly then wrap it into Joomla I've tried it out on Joomla - VBulletin HERE

Tront

New year, new direction

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 pm

I looked at that the other day (you posted the link in the news item). The documentation on the JFusion website doesn't tell me anything to be honest. I'm sure it works with vBulletin (because that's what it was written for), but I've no clue reading anything on that site as to how to make it work with anything else.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Page 1 of 1