LeagueCMS
competition management for DragonFly CMS

Suggestion/Request for future versions

The public support form for mComp, online gaming Competition Management Software
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:05 pm

I have a request for future versions of MComp concerning maps and custom fields.

With different games and events (tournament, ladder etc) I often encounter the need to have separate custom fields and map settings. While e.g. some additional information for team matches in a league match makes sense, it becomes obsolete in a 1v1 fixture. Still you are bound to use any custom field and maps for every event you have once you created/activated them. It would be great if those could be handled individually for games and or events.

This especially is of concern for me in ladder matches where users have to add/edit everything themselves at the beginning already, meaning: When they actually create the ladder fixture (challenge): They are already confronted with all the (match) custom fields and map chosing.

A similar problem occurs with the ladder setting: In many games random settings are the most popular. Meaning random maps, class/race and others (that's what custom fields can be used for) and so are able to edit this setting only after the match has been played.

So - alternatively - I would suggest an option to either:

1. let the players enter all the info (at least the map) together with the result after the match and not already when they challenge a player (or at least let them edit the settings as well after the result has been entered and not only the admin)

2. option to "outsource" the custom fields to an additional "edit" screen on the fixture detail (just like "media").

3. Ideally: The possibility to set all the custom fields and the usage of maps (yes/no) on a game/competition/event level.

Last but not least . what do you think about the following: a system for custom fields (or an additional lookup type) that works the same way as the current map system: Allow to associate a small icon for a lookup list enry (very useful e.g. to be used in lists... and looks nicer than text Smile )

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 am

Maps are already competition specific, although custom fields are not.

I have an issue with things being changed after a match has been played if the match was a challenge.

When someone challenges, and the opponent accepts, they have at that point agreed the "terms" of the match. If they can change something after the match they're changing the terms, the opponent might say "heh, we agreed to play you on map X, not map Y!". Personally, if maps and / or other settings were editable after the match I'd want a system by which the opponent could reject the match without penalty (because they didn't agree with those settings when they accepted the challenge).

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion/Request for future versions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:10 am

- mark
Maps are already competition specific, although custom fields are not.

That's true. But if you chose to make use of maps in the global MComp settings then you have to use at least one in every other competition (otherwise you'll get an error message about not enough maps).

I have an issue with things being changed after a match has been played if the match was a challenge.

I perfectly understand this point and agree with you in general. But then again the opponent has to confirm a result entry anyway which might as well count for the map selection as well. In certain scenarios this makes sense (not all - that's why I'd opt for an optional setting). But I see if you don't want to change this for the above reasons.

That's why it would be good (as an alternative) to be able to fix this by either specific custom fields (ability to also enter together with result) or disabling maps altogether for certain events.

Golem
Contributor
Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:59 am

Yes maps are game specific rather than competition, I took the view that either a game is played on maps or it isn't, not sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. That could probably be changed easily enough, just move the rule to the event table, but it'd mean a new field and therefore an upgrade etc. In the meantime you can create a map for all games called "To Be Advised" or something similar then there will always be at least one map you can choose from should the game require you to choose.

As for confirming the result being the same as confirming the terms of the match, whilst that could be true I'd want either team to have the option of rejecting the match without penalty, because one or the other could've changed something between the challenge being accepted and the result being entered that the other doesn't agree with, besides the result. And if you give teams more things to disagree about you create more scope for conflict and more work for Admins.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Page 1 of 1